There’s nothing worse than walking into a room and being given a rude a-wick-ening by an unpleasant odor. Whether it’s your kitchen after you’ve cooked a particularly strong meal or your living room where your pet likes to lounge, odors can quickly make a space feel unclean and unlivable. Candles are always a popular solution not only for creating an ambiance but for neutralizing bad smells.
However, not all candles are created equal. A common question many ask is do odor eliminating candles work? Yes! Odor eliminating candles are specifically designed to neutralize odors, rather than just mask them. Candles that eliminate odors contain a formulation of enzymes which neutralize smells, unlike scented candles. We explain more in the FAQ.
We have burnt many hours researching and rounded up the 7 best odor eliminating candles (with bonus no flame options) for every room in your house.
Read on to keep your home smelling fresh and clean all year round:
- Best Overall
- Best Mask
- Best For Pet Odor
- Best For Kitchen Odor
- Best Smoke Odor
- Best For Bathroom Odor
- Best Versatility
- Best Reed Diffuser (Bonus)
- Best Gel Beads (Bonus)
- Buying Guide
Best Overall: Dianne’s Custom Candles Vanilla Bean
Dianne’s Custom Candles has been a trusted name in candles for over 25 years. This family-run business takes great pride in their products and it shows in the quality of the Vanilla Bean Odor Eliminating Highly Fragranced Candle. Made with a soy wax blend and natural fragrance oils, you’ll be amazed at the noteworthy throw which will fill any room swiftly. This candle does eliminate odors rather than mask them.
Specs: Soy Wax Blend
Burn time: Up to 80 hours
- Top: Sweet peach, fruity pineapple
- Mid: Fresh coconut
- Base: Sweet cream, vanilla bean
- Impressive throw
- Multifunctional usage as it neutralizes differing odors
- Produced and sourced locally in USA
- Trusted family-run business with combined 70 years of experience
- Some customers found the scent too sweet (others prefer the balanced Siberian Fir)
- Some reviews indicate candles burn fast
- “Honestly i never write reviews but this candle really exceeded my expectations i just needed to let the seller and future buyers know this candle really does what it says it does. I cooked, lit up the candle and left to the gym (people were at home) when i came back all i smell was the scent of the candle 😍😍😍. Mind you Everytime i cook even if i have any other candle lit up it still has food smell lingering around… point is I absolutely love this candle and will be purchasing more ♥️” David
- “Love everything about this, candle, scent longevity and makes my home smell inviting. I will definitely purchase more! Thanks for offering this brand of candles! I have tried many other candle brands including extremely pricey ones and this brand tops them all! I highly recommend them!” Amazon customer
Best Mask: Yankee Candle Balsam & Cedar
The Yankee Candle Company is an evergreen choice for many looking for scented or odor-eliminating candles. Their large 22 oz. jar candles come in a variety of scents like eucalyptus, lemon verbena, and lavender. Each candle has a burn time of 110-150 hours giving you value for money. The highly rated Balsam & Cedar candle is a top pick, perfect for getting rid of pet or cooking odors. Many reviewers say they work great at neutralizing odors and could smell the difference after just one burn.
Specs: Paraffin Wax
Burn time: Over 110 hours
- Top: Crisp citrus, herbs, red berry
- Mid: Pine balsam, cedar, sandalwood
- Base: Vanilla, warm amber, musk
- Long lasting burn time
- Smell has presence and doesn’t diminish after some time
- Highly rated for its balance and not being overpowering
- Turns on the holiday cheer all year round
- Paraffin wax candles mask scent rather than eliminate the odor
- Might need larger candle for bigger rooms
- Highly popular scent so stocks might be unavailable. Alternatively, try buying direct from Yankee Candle as they have promotions too.
- “This candle is just right. Smells like a Christmas tree and just the right balance between subtle and noticeable. People will notice my home smells good, not that I have a scented candle burning. So far it burns clean, no black soot or residue. Definitely recommend.” Leguminator
- “In particular the highly aromatic cedar aroma in the candle got me into candles. It’s not a girly smell like so many flowery candles. As a hiker I appreciate the woodsy smell, and used to burn cedar incense but this is less dusty. It’s a good price compared to in the store, it lasts a long time so it’s a good value. I wish it had two wicks so the wax melted more evenly. Overall would recommend, quality candle with an exceptional smell.” Znophobe
Best for Pet Odor: Pet House Candle Lavender Green Tea
Pets are wonderful but they can also be smelly. Especially for ones with an excited personality. If you’re looking for a candle to help eliminate pet odors, try the Lavender Green Tea by Pet House Candle. Specially created for pet parents by pet parents, this soy-based candle effectively replaces odors with a crisp calming aroma that is just right.
Specs: 100% Soy Wax
Burn time: Up to 60 Hours
- Top: French lavender, green tea, white lily
- Base: Crisp citrus, melon, warming sage.
- Designed specifically for pet owners
- Eco friendly and made of natural resources
- Customers cite effectiveness of neutralizing pet odors
- Reviews indicate longevity of the candle not as lengthy as other brands
- “My dog is almost 13 and he mostly lays in our bedroom. It was getting to the point where nothing I did got rid of the dog smell. I lit this candle for 2 hours and the smell was gone! I can finally walk upstairs and not cringe at the smell.” Tara
- “I was looking for some candles that my cats will tolerate without being allergic at the same time, and this one it’s awesome, it smells great, it’s pet friendly and I will definitely buy it again in different flavours!” Oany
Best for Kitchen Odor: Yankee Candle Sparkling Cinnamon
Whether it’s the smell of cooking smoke or just the lingering scent of last night’s dinner, kitchen odors can be tough to get rid of. Candles are a great way to mask bad smells, but you need a powerful and consistent candle to counter the odor. The Sparking Cinnamon Candle by Yankee Candle does exactly that! You can rely on this sweet and spicy candle to fill your home with a delightful aroma that will last through any number of special gatherings or lazy days.
Specs: Paraffin Wax
Burn time: Over 110 hours
- Top: Cinnamon stick
- Mid: Clove, cardamom
- Base: Bay leaf, cedarwood
- Long lasting with consistent burn
- Eco friendly with 100% recyclable partnership with TerraCycle
- Great as a festive giftable
- Not all like paraffin wax which is petroleum based
- Some reviews indicate fakes sold. Be mindful to check for verified sellers or buy directly from Yankee Candle.
- “I bought this for my friend who is very sensitive to fragrances. One of the few she likes is cinnamon. And this is one of the best! Also, it was at a very good price! I can’t wait to give it to her!” Mockingbird50
- “I see a lot of reviews on here that it’s a fake… NOT true. It’s fine smells like a yankee candle and comes in the exact same packaging from yankee candle directly. I don’t see an issue with the product.” Amazon Customer
Best for Smoke Odor: Lulu Candles Jasmine, Oud & Sandalwood
Smoke odors can be tough to get rid of. Whether it’s the smell of cigarette smoke, cigar smoke, or even the smell of marijuana, these odors can quickly take over a space. Deep notes of the Jasmine, Oud and Sandalwood Candle from Lulu Candles help to remove smoke odors quickly and effectively. This candle emits a scent that is also sensual and mysterious, making it the perfect choice for a romantic evening (candle with care…).
Specs: Soy Wax Blend
Burn time: 40 to 75 hours
Notes: Jasmine, oud, sandalwood
- Long and clean burning
- Clean oaky scent
- Reviews compliment the strength yet not overpowering scent
- Handcrafted locally in USA
- Some customers indicate top notes as sweet and floral and base notes as musky which put them off initially
- Some customers confused it with another brand.
- “We all know that Le Labo is untouchable. When I saw this candle listed as a dupe online I shrugged… why not? When I say that I LOVE this smell, you just have to take my word for me. It’s not Le Labo by any means, but it is really fresh.” Alicia
- “Smells great! Like a boutique shop! Has soft notes not overpowering, clean but also for any season! Some oak tones. Very very nice! I’m a candle snob and I like it!” Jill Taylor
Best for Bathroom Odor: Chesapeake Bay Serenity + Calm
If you’ve ever had the misfortune of being in a bathroom that smells less than fresh, then you know how important it is to have an immediate solution on hand. The Serenity + Calm Candle by Chesapeake Bay is one of the best options out there, and it can help to mask any number of bathroom stinks. Whether it’s the lingering essence of someone else’s business or dreadful malodour of wet towels, this candle will refresh the space in no time.
Specs: Soy Wax Blend
Burn time: 50 hours
- Top: Bergamot, eucalyptus, rosemary
- Mid: Lavender, thyme
- Base: Clove, cedar, patchouli
- Uplifting and light scent
- Frosted jar candle allows flickering of flame to shine through, creating a serene and relaxing effect
- Long lasting burn for its size
- Critical reviews indicate the scent is faint. More suitable for smaller spaces such as bathrooms
- Might need more than one jar due to its size (8.8 ounces)
- “Perfect candle for a bathroom. The scent is very light and clean. Will definitely be buying again.” Malana Anderson
- “I don’t do well with strong scents but this candle is fantastic. Very pleasant scent.” Emily Valasko
Best Versatility: NEST New York Sicilian Tangerine
Are there some scents that you would love to have all day? Voted Amazon’s Choice for tangerine candles, the Sicilian Tangerine Candle from NEST New York emits an exhilarating and luxurious fragrance to elevate any space and mood. Best of all? This candle comes in reed diffuser and hand soap forms. The versatility of options means you can use it in your preferred manner just about anytime anywhere – from living room to the office.
Specs: Proprietary vegan wax blend
Burn time: 50 to 60 hours
Notes: Tangerine, bergamot, mango, passionfruit
- Variety of form types
- Beautiful glass jar vessel, great for gifting
- Vegan, made without animal testing
- Pricier than other options
- “This candle has a beautiful fragrance that does not overpower the atmosphere. It is not irritating to anyone with allergies and is light and pleasant.” Patricia Lascarides
- “I have these all over my house and guests always compliment me on the subtle and refreshing flavor. They are strong but not too strong and appeal to many people. I have a high chemical and smell sensitivity and these are one of the few candles that I like. I prefer the 3 wick candle to the single wick candle, it has the right amount of aroma to be able to smell it when you enter a room.” Jennifer
Best Reed Diffuser (Bonus): Cocorrína Clean Linen Scented Diffuser
What if you are more likely to use an odor eliminator that is a fragrance, rather than a candle? Reed diffusers are a great way to enjoy the odor eliminating benefits of essential oils without having to light a candle. Cocorrína’s Clean Linen scent is especially popular and provides a fresh, clean smell. Not only does the diffuser disperse the pleasant aroma across the room, it acts as an aesthetically pleasing focal point to match your decor.
Specs: Essential oils mix, baby’s breath flowers
Estimated time: 90 days
- Top: Clove, clean aldehydes, lemon
- Mid: Lily of the valley, frangipani, orange blossom
- Base: Violet, vanilla, rice powder
- Hassle free – no need to light or blow out candles
- Beautiful glass jar and frosted lid
- Long lasting with reed sticks lasting up to 8-12 weeks
- Gives off a light, fresh scent
- Oil can evaporate quickly if exposed to direct sunlight or high temperatures
- “trust me when I say YOU NEED THIS IN YOUR LIFE!!! It lasts a long time its been 3 months and the smell is still going strong and smells so good still! and for this price??? ya don’t sleep on this one!” Stephen H.
- “This is absolutely beautiful, the packaging alone sold me, it is very aesthetically pleasing and smells amazing highly recommended.” Shay
Best Gel Beads (Bonus): Fresh Wave Odor Removing Gel
Another flameless option for odor elimination is the Fresh Wave’s Odor Removing Gel. This product uses natural ingredients such as plant extracts and water to absorb and trap odors all around the house, making it a safer, less hazardous option. Plus, with its covered cap, you don’t need to worry about curious hands or paws! It comes in easy gel refills which makes it more affordable with less hassle. It’s perfect for busy households and can handle any smelly surprises that may pop up!
Specs: Natural plant ingredients, water
Estimated time: 15 to 30 days
Notes: Lime, pine, anise and cedarwood scents
- Easy to use – simply open the container and place it in anywhere the odor is strongest
- Certified EPA Safer Choice – eco, pet, family friendly
- Gel refills are more affordable
- Pet owners’ reviews indicate gel works well to remove cat odor
- Gel beads can become brittle over time, so they need to be replaced regularly
- Reviews cite more gel jars needed for larger rooms. Each 7 ounce gel covers 200 square feet of space.
- “Lit really does get rid of offensive odors. Already bought second package😉” Carolyn R.
- “I like the product but I think you may need more than one depending on the size of the space. Even with just the one jar it did help.” Rena Johnson
When it comes to choosing the best odor eliminating candle for your needs, there are a few things to keep in mind.
First, consider the type and strength of odor you’re trying to eliminate. Different candles are better suited for different types of odors. For example, if you’re trying to eliminate smoke odors, you’ll want a candle that’s specifically designed for that purpose. On the other hand, if you’re just trying to mask bad smells, any scented candle will do. Place the candle in the room where the odor is strongest. This will help to quickly eliminate the odor.
Secondly, consider the size of the room you’re trying to eliminate the odor in. A small candle (ie 6 oz jar candle) might be fine for a small room, but it’s not going to do much for a large space. Likewise, a large candle might be too much for a small room. Allow the candle to burn for at least 20-30 minutes to give it time to work its magic.
Third but the most important are safety considerations when using a candle. Be sure to blow out the candles before leaving the room or going to bed. Never leave a candle burning unattended and place the candle away from children, pets and anything that can catch fire like curtains.
What is the most powerful odor eliminator?
There are a variety of powerful odor eliminators on the market, such as candles, reed diffusers, gel beads, room sprays and even DIY household essentials such as baking soda and soaps. Each one has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to choose the one that’s best suited for your needs.
What makes a candle odor eliminating?
Odor eliminating candles are specially formulated to neutralize odors, rather than just conceal them. These candles are usually made of vegan soy wax blends that contain essential oils and other natural ingredients that work to quickly eradicate bad smells.
How do I use an odor eliminator candle?
To use an odor eliminator candle, simply place it in the room where the odor is strongest.
Do burning unscented candles eliminate odor?
No, unscented candles will not eliminate odor nor mask bad smells. If you’re looking for an odor eliminator, we recommend choosing a candle that is specifically designed for this purpose.
We hope this guide has helped you find the best odor eliminating candle for your needs. Remember to keep safety in mind when using candles and always blow them out before leaving the room or going to bed. With these things in mind, you should have no trouble keeping your home smelling fresh and clean. Thanks for reading!
Any other questions? Ask them here!