Meditation is a great way to relax and reduce stress. But did you know that lighting a candle can add extra depth to your experience? Not only do aromatherapy candles create a cozy, calming atmosphere, the scents enhance and stimulate your senses. In this blog, we’ll cover the benefits of using candles for meditation and provide a buying guide with recommendations so you can find the best candle for your needs.
Read here for:
- Benefits of Using Candles for Meditation
- 7 Best Meditation Candles
- Choosing the Best Candles for Meditating
Benefits of Using Candles for Meditation
It’s no wonder why so many people choose to use candles for their meditation practice with these benefits in mind.
- Ambiance: Burning candles during meditation can help create a calming and peaceful atmosphere in your home or meditation space. Not only does the flickering lights soothe, many scented candles are made of aromatic essential oils which help to reduce stress and promote relaxation.
- Mindfulness: Another benefit of using scented candles during meditation is that they can help to focus the mind and senses, which facilitates a deeper meditative state. It anchors you in the present moment and increases self-awareness.
- Candle gazing: Mediation candles also help to keep your mind and body in sync. By focusing the mind on the flame, you can help to bring your body into a relaxed state. Apart from improving your concentration, it helps open your chakras, allowing for a deeper connection with your inner self and boosting overall well being.
- Allergic relief: Apart from helping with meditation, aromatherapy candles also help to relive certain allergies. For example, candles that contain lavender oil are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and can help to reduce sinus pressure.
7 Best Meditation Candles
If you’re looking to take your meditation practice to the next level, here are some of our best picks for aromatherapy candles based on their benefits, quality and real reviews.
Best Overall: Chesapeake Bay Candle Balance + Harmony
The Balance + Harmony Candle from Chesapeake Bay is a great choice for those seeking an environment of tranquility and embark on a sensory journey. It is made with natural essential oils, including bergamot, jasmine, water lily and sandalwood which are known to soothe the senses and help with anxiety relief. Additionally, the candle helps to cleanse the air as the soy wax blend serves to eliminate odors rather than mask them. Aptly named, reviews indicate the fragrance to be balanced and calming.
Specs: Soy wax blend
Burn time: 50 hours (approximately)
- Top: Apple, pear, bergamot, orange zest, tropical fruits, ozone
- Mid: Jasmine, rose, violet, coconut, cyclamen, waterlily
- Base: Clean musk, rosewood, green foliage, sandalwood, anise
- Combination of essential oils serves a gentle harmonious fragrance
- Cleansing function of soy wax blend apart from masking scents
- Reviews indicate scent be just right and not overpowering
- Long clean burn
- Reviews indicate scent is more suitable for smaller rooms as it is faint in larger rooms
- 3 wicks version burns out fast
- “I freaking loved this candle and now want one of each scent. I’ve been going through some stressful times (as we all are) and the Balance + Harmony water lily pear added a gentle warmth to the room. It literally just went out for the final time a moment ago as there is ZERO wax left. Lasted quite a while too!!: Amazon customer
- “Such a nice scent! I got the medium sized Balance + Harmony (8.8oz) and it has lasted a long while and burned evenly. Make sure to let it burn at least an hour each time and always turn it off by covering the candle with the lid. Keeps my bedroom smelling great and it looks cool with the frosted jar also. Would make a great gift for the upcoming Christmas season.” Adrian C
Best Candle Set: 4 Pack Aromatherapy Candle Gift Set
The Four Pack Aromatherapy Candle Set from LDKJR is the perfect gift for someone who loves to meditate. It comes wrapped in an attractive gift box with pretty decorative tins. The candles are made with 100% natural soy wax and contain essential oils that promote relaxation and positivity. These candles are versatile anywhere, whether for yoga sessions or setting the ambiance for a spa-like experience at home. Each of the four scents contains a unique blend of oils, including Mediterranean fig , lavender, spring , lemon, apt for any occasion!
Specs: Soy wax blend
Burn time: 25 – 30 hours per candle (120 hours total per set)
Notes: Mediterranean fig , lavender, spring, lemon
- Impressive for gift set and occasions, beautiful packaging and decorative vessels
- 8% pure essential oils give a richer fragrance
- Value for money
- Reviews indicate mild fragrance when burning. More suitable for smaller rooms
- “I have bought this set of candles twice and plan to buy them again. They come in a pretty box and each individual candle is housed in a pretty container. I love the smell and presentation of each candle. A great gift that impresses the receiver.” Isabella Moreno
- “I gave them to my coworkers for Mother’s day and they loved the scents.” Wendy Russell
Best Wellness: Mrs. Meyer’s Soy Aromatherapy Lavender Candle
Thoughtfully formulated from soy and vegetable oils, Mrs. Meyer’s Soy Aromatherapy Candles are made with cruelty-free formulas and Leaping Bunny certified. The best part of this candle is its rejuvenating scent – lavender. Lavender has been used in many natural remedies due to its impressive list of benefits including stress relief and improved sleep quality. When burnt as a candle, the sweet and clean aroma of lavender can help reduce depression, tension, fatigue and other common symptoms of stress.
Specs: Soy and vegetable wax blend
Burn time: 25 to 35 hours
- Many researched benefits of lavender
- Soft and clean aroma that is not overwhelming
- Candle material is plant derived and environmentally friendly
- Brand offers other plant derived products with similar scents but for other functions
- Reviews indicate the candle burns out faster with its shorter wick.
- “These all natural soy wax candles burn clean and have the best scent. They fill a room with lovely lavender scent without overwhelming your olfactory. I highly recommend.” Shapow
- “Mrs. Meyers’ products always rank high in quality and production values. Reliable and worth the cost.” Yvonne Hansen
Best Chakra Healing: Magnificent 101 Pure Sage Candles
Made from naturally cultivated white sage, the Pure White Sage Candles from Magnificent 101 are ideal for chakra healing and energy cleansing. Chakras or spiritual energies within the body are said to improve organ function, cognitive ability, and emotional state. Traditional healers have been known to use sage in smudging rituals to heal and purify. When burned in your space, these candles can help to clear out stagnant energy and any negative vibes that may be lingering in the air.
Specs: 100% soy wax
Burn time: Unspecified
Notes: White sage
- Clean eco-friendly material with no petroleum or paraffin wax
- Comes with label to write intentions for alignment and manifestation exercises
- Reviews indicate great smelling scent and long burning
- Reviews indicate candle size is small
- Throw might be mild for larger rooms due to its size
- “The scent is light and not as strong as sage can be. It comes in a lovely tin with encouraging words. It’s small enough that it can go almost anywhere.” DS
- “Every time a major life event occurs I light this candle. It’s my ritual for transition. This is the perfect scent and product for this use.” Betty Ripper
Best Allergy Relief: Yankee Candle Eucalyptus and Mint
The Eucalyptus and Mint Candle from Yankee Candle is not only great for setting the mood, but eucalyptus is also known to provide certain benefits for those with blockages. The eucalyptus scent is said to be helpful by opening up your nasal passages and sinuses, making it easier to breathe due to its anti-inflammatory effects. In addition, eucalyptus is known to stimulate and soothe the body, thus improving focus and reducing stress at the same time.
Specs: Coconut and soy wax blend
Burn time: 60 to 85 hours
- Top: Crisp Air, Peppermint, Bergamot
- Mid: Lavender, Rosemary, Eucalyptus
- Base: Arctic Musk, Vanilla
- Eucalyptus is known to relieve congestion and allergies
- Fresh clean scent that is not overwhelming
- Coconut and soy wax blend burns clean and is healthier
- Perfect for gifting
- Burn time is lesser than classic Yankee Candle jars.
- Reviews indicate the scent throw is mild, best for smaller spaces.
- Highly popular so might have to look around for available stocks. Can consider purchasing from Yankee Candles directly.
- “Love, love, love the classic Yankee candle scent! It’s extremely giftable. I bought the large and gifted it. They love it! You cannot go wrong with Eucalyptus. The scent is crisp and clean. It smells so good. I’d recommend it to anyone who wants their place smelling great! The only con is the price is a bit excessive for a large at almost $30.00, but IMHO it should be around $25.00 + tax.” D
- “This is my number one go to Yankee candle. The scent fills my ranch style home with only two candles, one in the front of the house and one in the back. I get so many compliments on how good my home smells even when it’s not lit. And you can literally smell it before you walk in from outside! Eucalyptus will always be my favorite Yankee. And it’s less expensive here than it is at the Yankee store!” Amanda R
Best Luxury: Sib-lings No 01 Bergamot, White Rose, Oakmoss
The enchanting signature scent of Sib-lings No 01 Bergamot, White Rose, Oakmoss Candle is lagom (Swedish for just right) for moments of priceless peace. The rose fragrance is light and delicate, with a touch of earthiness from oakmoss to help you to feel centered and present. The best part? This candle is made with a blend of essential oils and coconut wax, so you can relax knowing each breath is clean and chemical-free. Whether you’re new to meditation or an seasoned practitioner, this candle is sure to enhance your practice experience.
Specs: Coconut Wax
Burn time: 60 hours (approximately)
- Top: Bergamot
- Mid: White rose, geranium
- Base: Oakmoss, musk
- Exotic yet balanced scent
- Coconut wax throws and burns longer
- Clean and eco friendly wax material and packaging
- Able to reuse in any vessel of choice
- Pricey compared to other candles in the market.
- Requires do-it-yourself preparation, doesn’t come pre-made
- “Rose scents run the risk of being overpowering or cloying, but this blend is fresh and soft enough to be burned all day.” Brittni
- “So easy! Candles smell lovely and I was able to re-use my favorite candle vessels. Will definitely recommend to all my candle loving friends.” Kim J
Best Personalized: Birthdate.co Birthdate Candle
Personalized just for you, the Birthdate Candle from Birthdate.Co reveals your ruling planet, stellar influences, and much more. Reading the message that comes with your Birthdate Candle can give you clarity surrounding an important decision, provide insight into a current problem, or simply help you align with your highest self. And because each candle is mindfully hand-poured with intention and love, they also make thoughtful gifts for friends and loved ones. Whether you’re looking to deepen your meditation practice or connect with your higher self, there’s a special Birthdate Candle out there just for you.
Specs: Soy, coconut, and apricot wax blend with custom natural fragrance oils.
Burn time: 60 to 80 hours
Notes: Varies according to birthdate (month and day)
- Highly unique custom candle aligned to person’s astrology
- Clean and chemical free material
- Long burn time for size
- Beautiful gift set
- According to reviews, the candles are a hit as presents and the scents are spot on
- Pricier than most candles
- Does not come with top cover
- Reviews indicate print is small on label
- “This is the perfect, personalized gift for my astrology loving friends. They adore it!” Samantha S
- “I love this candle so much! I want to get one for every single person I know. The scent is incredible, and the personalized information about that birthdate is so interesting and fun to read.” Bailey E
Choosing the Best Candles for Meditating
When it comes to choosing a candle for meditation, there are a few factors to consider.
- Scent: If you’re using an aromatherapy candle, make sure that it contains essential oils that are best-suited to your needs. Popular scents for meditation include lavender, sandalwood and bergamot.
- Note: When you smell a candle, there are usually three separate fragrance ‘notes’ that you can identify. The first and most noticeable scent is the top note. This is quickly followed by the middle note, which makes up the main body of the fragrance. Lastly, there is the base note which lingers after all other smells have dissipated.
- Burn time: Make sure that you choose a candle with a longer burn time so it will last throughout your entire meditation practice or a few sessions.
- Size and throw: Finally, think about the size and shape of the candle. Some people find long candles more suitable for meditation, while others prefer shorter ones. The room size also matters. If you have a small enclosed space, it’s best to choose a smaller or medium sized candle. For open spaces, 3 wick candles are more suitable for a stronger throw.
What is a good scent for meditation?
Popular aromatherapy scents for meditation are lavender, sandalwood, bergamot, and jasmine. These scents are know to promote stress relief, grounding and relaxation. The best part about these candles is that you can use them for any occasion, not just meditation.
What is the best type of wax for meditation candles?
Beeswax and soy blend candles both burn cleanly and don’t release any harmful chemicals in the air. If you’re looking for a longer burn time, soy and coconut wax candles also tend to last longer.
How do you meditate with candles?
When meditating with candles, start by setting the mood. A general practice, especially if you are a beginner, is to light your candle and take a few deep breaths to focus your attention. Choose an intention or mantra for your meditation and repeat it as you slowly inhale and exhale. Visualize yourself in a peaceful place and allow yourself to drift off into a relaxed state of being. When you finish, blow out the candle and take a moment to be mindful of the present moment. Candle gazing for more is another method to improve performance and mental health.
If you want to start meditating or deepen your practice, these best candles for meditation can help make your experience more enjoyable. From aromatherapy candles with comforting scents like lavender and eucalyptus to personalized Birthdate Candles that provide unique insight into your astrological influences, there’s a candle for every type of meditation practitioner. Plus, with natural waxes and eco-friendly packaging, these meditation candles are not only beautiful but also sustainable. So go ahead and light the way to a more mindful life with (one or more..hehe) of these best candles for meditating!