In this post, we explore the best essential oils for allergies which can help soothe your symptoms and bring relief.
Whether it is from pollen, dust, or pet dander, a lot of us suffer from allergies all year round. And while the first instinct is to grab your preferred antihistamine whenever an attack occurs, others turn into a more natural method in managing them: essential oils.
Being allergen sufferers ourselves, we have carefully researched and curated the selection of the best essential oils. You can count on us to find the best solutions for your allergy struggles here!
While considered natural, you should still exercise caution when using essential oils. Always seek medical advice first before trying any of these out.
Read on for:
What essential oil helps best with allergies?
As each essential oil carries unique characteristics, there are varying ways of use to suit its intended purpose. You can diffuse them in the air, spray them, breathe them directly from the container, or dilute and apply them topically with a carrier oil such as olive oil . Here, we pair the most common essential oils with its ideal usage.
Best for: One of the most popular essential oils, lavender is known to relieve stress and can help alleviate allergy attacks with its anti-inflammatory properties.
How to use: To enjoy its benefits, use lavender oil in a diffuser as part of your aromatherapy session. You can also add a few drops in your bath or dilute it in a carrier oil then apply to the affected area to help with skin allergies.
Best for: This cool, minty plant can help ease up your airways when you suffer from an allergic rhinitis attack.
How to use: Dilute and use peppermint oil as a chest rub or diffuse it in the air to ease breathing.
Best for: This essential oil helps the body fight allergic attacks by aiding to reduce the inflammatory response of the body once an allergen is present.
How to use: You can add a few drops of basil oil to food, or apply as a rub by mixing it with a carrier oil to help with breathing concerns during allergy episodes.
Best for: Another popular plant due to its use on several rubs and liniments, eucalyptus aids in easing up respiratory congestion caused by cough and colds.
How to use: To experience this, diffuse eucalyptus oil in the air or use topically by mixing it with a carrier oil and applying it directly to the skin to relieve itchiness. You can also add a few drops in your warm bathing water or breathe it in directly from the bottle.
Best for: Lemon is not just a natural decongestant, this fresh smelling essential oil can also be used to disinfect your surroundings, removing potential allergens in the air.
How to use: For relief, pour a few drops of this essential oil into your diffuser or mix it with distilled water to spray on surroundings.
Best for: If you suffer from skin irritations or fungi infections (especially under the toes), tea tree oil can help alleviate symptoms and inflammations caused by allergens with its anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties.
How to use: To use, you can dilute with a carrier oil and apply directly to the irritated area or pour some in your bath water to help with the itchiness. Use it with your diffuser to eliminate potential allergens in the air.
Best for: There are studies that report the use of frankincense to ease inflammation caused by bronchitis, asthma, and sinusitis. Not only that, it also helps you get better sleep.
How to use: To enjoy these benefits, use it with your diffuser or mix with distilled water to spray in your surroundings.
Best for: Chamomile oil can be effective in treating some skin allergies when used topically, it can also help in easing breathing problems caused by sinusitis.
How to use: Use this oil with a carrier oil and apply to the affected area to aid against the itching. You can also pour some in your diffuser to help with your sinusitis symptoms.
Each essential oil has its own benefits. Those looking to have a more potent oil to use for allergy management or to reap more benefits can combine different essential oils depending on their needs. For example, the combination of frankincense, sandalwood and ravensara oil can help greatly for those who suffer allergic rhinitis. You can also combine lemon, peppermint and lavender oils for a more soothing oil for allergy relief.
7 Best Essential Oils For Allergies
With these top 7 picks, you’ll have everything you need to stay in control of your allergy symptoms all year round. From affordable essential oil kits to fully kitted aromatherapy sets, we got you covered in oil-ways!
Those who want to begin their essential oils collection can give this 6-bottle set from Pure Aroma great consideration. With the basic essential oils included, pour a couple of drops in your diffuser and enjoy the aromatherapy benefits these oils are intended for.
- Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Orange
- Perfect for aromatherapy
- Affordable, perfect for those starting their essential oils collection
- Some reviews mention that the scent is weaker than other kits with the same scent variety.
- “I bought a humidifier and I use them in it. I also thought I had Covid but the doctor. said I didn’t, but I lost my smell. I sniffed some of these a couple times a day and regained some smell back. I use them while working or relaxing in bed with a good book”, Roserita
- “Excellent assorted oils for a very reasonable price”, Bill Hagag
- “This is the first time I have ever used a diffuser and oils. I use them at work in my office as some of my clients struggle with certain aspects of self care. So it’s nice to have a refreshing smell and depending on the scent,”, Daniel Berryman
This small set of 6 steam-distilled oils from Lagunamoon already contain the basic essential oils which can be used for various health purposes. With its non-chemical scent, use these oils not just for aromatherapy and relaxation, but for topical and bath purposes too. The bottle ensures that the oils can be stored longer for future use.
- Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Orange
- Scent is authentic; does not smell like chemicals
- Perfect for aromatherapy
- Long shelf life
- Mixed reviews on the strength of the scent
- “My father is terminally ill and is extremely picky about his oils. Recently, I purchased him a bundle and he absolutely LOVES them. He cannot stop talking about them. One day, one of my teenagers mentioned that he loves to stop by my Dad’s diffuser and just smell it because it’s always lovely.”, Amazon Customer
- “The scents are good. We use them for aroma therapy for our special needs daughter and they are working well”, John Hamman
Another great option for those who are just starting out with essential oils is this set from Cliganic. The set of 8 already has all you need for various health purposes; they still offer a smaller set of 6 if you are on a budget. They have a set of instructions included, which is very helpful for those who do not have an idea on what oil combinations they can use. Cliganic products are also certified to be eco-friendly.
- Peppermint, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Rosemary, Frankincense, Orange
- Long lasting scent
- The How-to-Use guide is great for those who are just getting into using essential oils
- Some reviews mention that some of the bottles are not filled / inconsistent amounts
- “I love all the different oils that’s included in this set. It comes with a booklet that tells you which ones mix well together. Overall, I’m very happy with my purchase.”, Lissyann
- “Very good quality product. Comes in tiny glass bottles and even has a recipe book filled with face, skin, and other healthcare uses for the oils”, Logan
- “ Love the idea that it comes with a booklet that gives you” recipes” on how to mix the different scents and for what they do”, Ethan
When you only have a “health need” in mind, but do not know which essential oils to get, this set from O’Linear has got you covered. The set of 6 has essential oils already blended according to purpose. Enjoy the health benefits as described by each bottle by pouring some in your diffuser or applying them topically with your preferred carrier oil.
- Oil Blends for: Stress Relief, Feel Good, Pure Zest, Easy Mood, Deep Breathe, Serenity Sleep
- Oils are premixed depending on the need
- Great scent combinations
- Mixed reviews on strength of the scent
- Since oils are already premixed, it would be hard to create combinations with the set
- “The smell is strong without being overpowering and I have not found them irritating to the skin, even without a carrier oil. The blends are very appealing.”, Lyndsey
- “Used in a diffuser, could be a bit more concentrated. Have to use quite a bit to smell the scents. Price was good for 6 small bottles.”, Jen
Experiment with different essential oil combinations to get the maximum health benefits with this plentiful set from Wtrcsv. With 30 smaller sized 5ml bottles, you get a sample of various oils which are perfect for your diffuser, crafts, and topical applications. The set also comes with a booklet explaining the benefits of each oil, the combinations you can make with them, and the instructions for use. This is perfect for beginners who are still on the lookout for the best essential oil combination for them.
- Citronella, Chamomile, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Myrrh ,Cajeput, Cinnamon, Lemon, Eucalyptus, Bergamot, Lavender, Thyme, Jasmine, Cedar, Lemongrass, Peppermint,Clove, Sweet Orange, Grapefruit, Ginger, Vetiver, Rosemary, Juniper, Frankincense, Geranium, Rose, Tea tree, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, Pine Needles
- Great variety of oils and scents to choose from; perfect for beginners
- Scent lasts long
- Mixed reviews on the packaging and the quality of the bottles
- Set comes in smaller bottles
- Limited droppers given on the set
- “This is a great way to sample essential oils that you might not have experienced before. There were plenty of my favorites, but I was able to sample some that I’ve never sampled before.”, Deryk Newberry
- “This is a great way to begin to experiment with the scents and purposes of Essential Oils. Even the less pleasant scents still work when mixed among the others to enhance loveliness.”, Robbi
Want to encourage someone to begin their health journey with essential oils? This healthy and eco-friendly set from PURA D’OR is the best set to get them started. The 10 oils included in this set are perfect for aromatherapy and or for budding enthusiasts to try out essential oils. The set also comes in a wooden box, adding to the rustic, natural feel of the kit, plus making storage a breeze.
- Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Lemon, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sweet Orange, Lemongrass
- Great scent
- Eco-friendly: Certified USDA Organic
- Good selection of essential oils for aromatherapy
- Mixed reviews on packaging; durability of the box
- “If you are looking for something affordable and something you can put in your essential oil machine this will work for you. It does smell good, it is not watered down like most inexpensive essential oils.”, Amazon Customer
- “I could smell all the wonderful fragrances as I was opening the box! So excited to get this package!”, Keli Cortes
Whether it is to help alleviate allergies or to just make a room smell nice and relaxing, aromatherapy has always been the entry point of those who are into using essential oils. If you are looking for your first diffuser, you should definitely give this aromatherapy set from Pure Daily Care a try. The set already has you covered: a durable diffuser (which also serves as a fancy night light), along with 10 oils that you can use for various purposes at an affordable price.
- Lavender, Eucalyptus, Tea Tree, Orange, Peppermint, Lemongrass, Jasmine, Nutmeg, Clove, Spearmint
- Ultrasonic Essence Diffuser with light and mist options
- Diffuser is durable and easy to use and clean
- Good selection of oils included in the set
- Mixed reviews on the strength and throw of the scent of the included oils
- Some reviews do not like the gurgling sound of the diffuser when used.
- Mixed reviews on the design of the diffuser
- “The oils smell nice, you can hear bubbling coming from the diffuser but it’s quiet enough to be covered up by pretty much any other sound in the room.”, Sage Hogan
- “Perfect for a smaller room. Great aromas.”, Amazon Customer
- “It’s a nice little product to keep your room fresh with great fragrances that come with the product. I use it frequently and love the color and lights. It’s very quiet and powerful.”, Amazon Customer
Risks and Complications
While dubbed as natural, using essential oils is not always considered safe. Some essential oils can also aggravate existing allergies, so consult a doctor before attempting to use them as an alternative for allergy management. Also seek medical advice if the oils will be used by pregnant, breastfeeding women and children.
Some essential oils can have side effects as well: for example, using lemon oil topically can make you sun-sensitive. Using blended oils increases this risk. Never directly apply undiluted essential oils to the skin, and always perform a skin test if you will use them topically.
Always follow the instructions on how to use essential oils and always get them from reliable sources.
Essential oils are not regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and should always be used with caution.
What gets rid of allergies fast?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the best way to get rid of allergies fast will vary depending on the individual and the severity of their allergies. However, some general tips that may help include: avoiding triggers, such as pollen or pet dander; using over-the-counter or prescription medications; and receiving allergy shots (if recommended by a doctor). Additionally, it’s important to keep the environment clean and dust-free, as allergens can easily build up in homes. A number of alternative treatments using natural remedies such as essential oils or herbs may improve symptoms. By following these tips, you can help reduce your allergy symptoms and get relief from them more quickly.
Where do you apply essential oils for allergies?
Essential oils can be applied in a number of different ways to help relieve allergy symptoms. Inhaling essential oils through a diffuser is one of the most popular methods, as it helps to clear nasal passages and reduce inflammation. You can also apply diluted essential oil topically to your chest, temples, and wrists for relief from congestion and other allergy-related issues. Lastly, adding essential oils directly into a bath or shower can help you relax and provide relief from sinus congestion and headaches. With the right application method, essential oils can provide natural relief.
If you’re looking for a natural way to get relief from allergies, essential oils may be the answer. Lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, and tea tree are all considered some of the best essential oils for allergies. Inhaling them through a diffuser is one of the most popular methods of application, but they can also be applied topically or added directly into a bath or shower. Always make sure to dilute essential oils prior to use and consult your doctor if symptoms persist.
We hope this article helps with some relief and let us know if you have other concerns!