When it comes to the best rugs for babies, we want what’s best for our precious ones. But choosing the right rug for your baby can be a tough decision. There are numerous factors to consider, from safety and health concerns to ease of cleaning and room fit.
As parents ourselves, we know how our little angels love to explore the world by crawling and tumbling around a lot. But let’s be honest: babies can be messy. They spit up, they drool, they have accidents. So if you’re looking for a rug that keeps your baby comfortable and your floors clean, look no further than our guide of the best rugs for babies that we have researched and tested .
Read on to discover:
- Best Overall
- Best Comfort
- Best Value For Money
- Best Washable
- Best Hypoallergenic
- Best Natural Fiber
- Best Transitional
- Best Design
- Best Play Mat
- Best Rug Pad (Bonus)
- Best Material For Baby Rugs
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Best Overall: Pagisofe Fluffy Shaggy Area Rug
Highly rated for its lightweight, softness and comfort, the Pagisofe Fluffy Shaggy Area Rug has all the features you need in a rug for babies. Made of polyester and memory foam, the rug provides a luxurious and plush feeling with the confidence of high durability. It offers a variety of sizes and colors which will complement any room design or layout. Maintenance is a breeze with recommended outdoor dusting or regular low powered vacuuming. The rug is however not washing machine friendly.
- Material: Polyester
- Thickness: High pile
- Plush and durable
- Low maintenance
- Versatile with many colors and sizes
- Not machine washable
- “It’s big, beautiful color (green) and SO SOFT. I look forward to baby having tummy time on this rug!! It’s gorgeous and a great bang for your buck.” Chelsea Deloucci
- “This is great for the kids room i order new ones each year to switch up the color schemes and this one was nice and vibrant.” Sara
- “My grandson is starting to crawl and I was afraid he may injure self when chin would hit the floor so I purchased this. Now it he accidentally hits his chin he just gets back up and continues as if nothing happened. This is perfect since he is just starting to crawl and will stay in the rug area with all his toys around him. Grandma approved!” Donna A
2. Best Comfort: Gorilla Grip Fluffy Faux Fur Rug
Looking for a rug that provides the warmth and luxury of fur but not at an expense ethically or monetarily? The Gorilla Grip Fluffy Faux rug is the ideal alternative.
This rug is made of a blend of acrylic and polyester, giving you the best of both worlds in terms of durability and softness. The rug is high-piled and comes with a rubber padding, increasing impact absorption. It also comes in different colors and sizes. The bonus? It is machine washable and fade resistant even after multiple washes.
- Material: Acrylic and polyester
- Thickness: High pile
- Extremely soft and cozy
- Ethical alternative
- Stylish yet affordable
- Machine washable
- Might shed at the beginning due to its high pile
- Need for a low powered vacuum to prevent shedding during regular maintenance
- “This is soooo nice. I used it in my nursery. It is super soft. My older girls want one for their room. It stays in place and doesn’t slip” Lydia
- “ This rug was nice and soft. The color is great. The only thing is it shedded a bit when I took it out of the box. But it hasn’t shed since then. I’ll be buying another size for another area in my house.” Tasha
3. Best Value For Money: Lochas Ultra Soft Indoor Modern Area Rug
Locha is one of the most highly-rated brands for rugs on Amazon, especially for those on a budget. These thick, soft and colorful rugs bring warmth and intimacy into any nursery. Made of velvet which is a blend of natural and synthetic fibers, it is highly soothing to the touch and great for babies to crawl on. These rugs are also durable and with low maintenance. Regular low powered vacuuming is needed to keep it in good health.
- Material: Velvet
- Thickness: High pile
- Soft and fluffy
- Non fade and shed
- Requires regular low powered vacuuming
- Velvet as a material does not hold up as well and will leave indents under heavy furniture.
- Not as stain resistant and may leave watermarks.
- “So soft! Doesn’t move so anti skid works perfectly. Soft for the pup to lay on perfect for bare feet. And really, just cute!! Will see how easy it is to clean. Did not know it couldn’t go in the washer but will see. So far it’s perfect.” FL Girl
- “At first I was like what’s this. Put it down. Daughter stained it. Put it in the washer, came out perfect. I love the vibrant yellow color.” Deborah
4. Best Washable: Rugs USA Beige Brenda Hazy Heraldry Washable Area Rug
Worried about your washing machine fading or degrading the rugs after a couple of washes? Say hello to the Heraldry Washable Rug from Rugs USA. Made to be spill and stain resistant these rugs are perfect for high traffic households with children and pets. This rug is designed for those who might not have the time for regular vacuuming and prefer efficient time saving solutions . Due to its hard wearing fibers, this rug can be washed as many times without fear of shedding or fading.
- Material: Recycled polyester
- Thickness: Low pile
- Suited for high traffic areas
- High durability with low maintenance
- Machine washable with cold water
- Eco friendly
- Easy one piece design to fold/unfold without separate backing layer
- Might feel thin underfoot due to its low pile
- Though it offers many sizes and shapes, it comes in only 3 colors.
- “Rug wasn’t what I was expecting but my husband and I ended up loving it anyway. The rug has a digitally printed on design. It’s lightweight to wash; but stays in place when in use! The rug itself is flat but cushion enough under the feet. Really love this product and will never go back to old, heavy; difficult to vacuum rugs! Note: the runner matching rug is scaled down to the size; and doesn’t exactly match the scale of the big rug. The colors are the same but it looks a bit off and busy in the design.” Annie Mo
- “Love the subtle pattern and light background. I love that it’s low pile and the grip on my laminate floor. It has never slipped. The best part is it’s washable as my pup loves laying on it too!.” Michele C
Are you concerned about the sensitive skin or allergic reactions from your babies, but don’t wish to deprive them of tummy time? Consider the ABC Kids Rug. The rug is made of 100% cotton, which has hypoallergenic properties like mold or moisture resistance and is soft to the touch. With its huge sizing, it provides ample play room and the alphabet inscriptions provide a cute yet subtle decorative element. Cotton rugs are also easy to fold and can be kept in storage for sustained periods of time.
- Material: Cotton
- Thickness: Medium pile
- Large sizing with different colors
- Soft and hypoallergenic
- Easy to care for
- Comes solely in round shape
- Recommended to add a separate anti slip rug pad
- “I have not cheeses to clean the rug yet but I am so happy with it! It’s a great size and looks darling. The color and quality look great, it’s really soft and I have had a ton of compliments.” Ejames9
- “This ABC rug was perfect for the great grandbaby’s nursery. It pulled everything together to make the room complete!! It is a nice size not too big and the white blended in well with the neutral tone of the room.” Patti Rhyne
6. Best Natural Fiber: Safavieh Natura Collection Handmade Premium Wool Area Rug
This beautiful, handcrafted Safavieh Natura Collection Premium Wool Rug will provide delightful softness underfoot while giving off a luxurious feeling in your nursery! Made from 100% dependable wool, the familiar loops are rendered either in solid colors or variegated tones which bring warmth and texture to any space. Wool is also known to possess hypoallergenic and stain resistance qualities.
- Material: Wool
- Thickness: High pile
- Cozy and soft to the touch
- Reasonably priced for wool product
- Safavieh is known to offer quality craftsmanship in their rugs and is a trusted brand.
- Expect shedding to occur within first few weeks but diminish over time
- May not be ideal with families with pets as it may attract picking
- “If you are looking through the questions and see the ones asking about the suitability for this being in a nursery room, that’s me! We went with the purchase and I’m SO glad we did. This rug is incredibly soft and we actually had no issues with shedding at all. Wish I could have this in every room in my home!!” Ellie Besso
- “Absolutely LOVE thiS rug. My friends and family think I spent a fortune for it. It’s soft and comfortable enough to lay on with the kids but also nice looking. Very happy with this purchase.” Brittany
7. Best Transitional: Livebox Retro Sun Rug
Don’t let the retro description sway you off! The Livebox Retro Sun Round Rug is a great option for families with young children or toddlers who are finding their stride! It comes with non-slip backing grips and is constructed with skin friendly polyester fabric. With its sunny vibes and eye-catching colors, the rug exudes joy and energy to any room’s design. Cleaning is also a breeze with regular vacuuming. It is recommended to use a laundry bag and gentle machine washing to increase the rug’s longevity.
- Material: Polyester
- Thickness: Medium pile
- Versatile in function
- Suitable for high traffic areas and durable
- Easy to clean
- Comes in 3 different sizes
- May feel flat as compared to higher pile rugs
- Comes only in round shape
- “It is really soft and colors are better than expected! Love it for the toddler room!” Christa Long
- “Bought this for my daughters nursery and it’s perfect! Super soft and my pit Sasha approves of it as well!” Erin
8. Best Design: White Kenzie Carved Shag Rug
Of course, taste varies from person to person, so what works for one person might not work for another. We found the White Kenzie Carved Shag Rug to bring a unique yet highly complimenting flair for any theme or look. It can also act as a transitional decor piece with its geometric designs and choice of 3 colors. What’s more, it has different sizes to choose from. With its propylene material, this durable carpet is pet friendly, easy to clean and ideal for high traffic areas.
- Material: Propylene
- Thickness: Low Pile
- Aesthetically pleasing and versatile
- Easy to clean
- Might feel flat and thin with it low pile
- Pricier than most rugs
- “I was looking for a rug for my girls’ playroom and this exceeded beyond my expectations. The quality is way better than I thought it was going to be for the price. I get so many compliments on this rug!” Mariah
- “Got this rug for our nursery. It is even more beautiful than in pictures and super cozy! I can picture lots of playtime and tummy time spent on this soft rug with our baby girl!” Neely
9. Best Playmat: Loartee Nursery Rug Coral Velvet
Thick, non-toxic and non slip backing – what more can you ask for in a crawling mat? Made with high density memory foam, the Loartree Nursery Rug allows your baby to comfortably crawl around and take a tumble. Coming in a variety of colors and large sizes, these rugs offer flexibility and space to complement any room’s layout and design scheme. It is also very convenient to clean with its flat surface. The use of a vacuum or flapping to clear the rug of dust and dirt will suffice. A plus point is that these rugs are also machine washable.
- Material: Velvet, memory foam
- Thickness: High
- Density foam for confident cushioning of impact
- Velvet that is soft to the touch
- Non toxic and hypoallergenic
- Various colors with large sizes for ample play space
- Comes in an air sealed bag so shape may take a couple of days to flatten and rebound (not a bad thing though for protection).
- Pricier than other rugs
- “I love this mat. We originally got it when our daughter was starting to crawl so that it’d be easier to clean up spit up, and a little extra padding…We have washed it a few times – but it’s easy to spot clean and wipes up quickly with a wet paper towel after somebody throws an applesauce pouch” Jackie K.
- “The rug looks great and is nice and soft. Provides great padding for my 1 year who is learning to crawl and walk. Comes vacuum sealed. If you follow instructions, wrinkles come out easily. I chose to lay it out on my farmers porch on a 95 degree day and it fluffed up and all the wrinkles came out.” Maria Katsileros
10.Best Rug Pad: Veken Non Slip Rug Pad Gripper
Rug pads are an important part of keeping your home safe for your little ones. Firstly, they help to secure the rug in place by preventing it from slipping and sliding around. In addition, they can be a great way to add a bit of extra cushioning and comfort to the play area. The Veken Rug Pad Gripper also helps protect your floor from scratches and scuffs, and acts as an extra layer of warmth during the colder months. All rug pads come in standard 8″x10″ sizing but can be easily trimmed with a pair of household scissors.
- Material: Polyvinyl
- Secure rugs to prevent slippage
- Extra protection and cushioning
- Can also be used for futons, seat cushions and mattresses
- Alternative to stick on tape or anchors
- Not for use on certain surfaces such as carpet, vinyl, lacquered, acrylic, natural stone, porous, concrete or heated floor.
- “I purchased this for a rug going on hardwood floors and it added the perfect amount of plushness and protectiveness to the area. The rug stays in place and I’m not worried about the furniture on top damaging the floors under the rug. It’s definitely the best price I’ve seen for a large rug pad so I’ll continue to buy this product for all rugs!” Liam & Taylor
- “My rug was so slippery before and I fell so I got this and it does not move and I can vacuum so easy! Love it!!” Sabrina
Best material for baby rugs
Amongst concerns such as safety and comfort, babies and young children are more susceptible to dust and dirt allergens. At such a tender age, it is important to minimize the amount of irritants that could cause problems for your little one. We discuss the many different types of materials available, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. There are two main categories of materials used to construct rugs: organic and synthetic.
These rugs are derived from natural sources such as plants or animals and are highly durable. They are often the preferred choice for babies and young children as they tend to be free of any chemicals and pesticides and have hypoallergenic features. The most common rugs made from organic material are wool, cotton, and jute.
Wool is probably one of the plushest and most eco-friendly rugs in the market. With its hypoallergenic properties, they make a great choice if your child has any allergies or sensitive skin. Wool also has high shape retention, which causes it to regain its form even with high traffic usage. However, do note that over washing may cause shrinkage. While these pros are great, one major reason people shy away from wool rugs is due to its price point which tends to be on the higher side.
Another popular and baby safe rug material is cotton. Apart from being less expensive than wool, cotton has less tendency to shrink. They are also reversible and easily washable. Cotton is also known to hold anti-microbial and hypoallergenic features. That being said, as cotton rugs are generally lightweight, they tend to slide more often. As such, rug pads might be needed to keep them in place.
Jute is one of the most durable rug materials and great for high-traffic areas. Jute rugs are easy to maintain with a simple dusting to get the dirt out. However, there are several downsides of jute as a rug for the nursery or play mat. A major concern is its high absorbency and prone to staining. As such it may leave nasty patches or worse grow moldy if not cared for properly. Additionally, it can feel more scratchy which will be highly stimulating for young children (parents – you know what we mean).
Synthetic rugs made of artificial fibers with tailored properties. These rugs are generally made to be affordable, stain-resistant, and easy to clean. The most common examples of synthetic rugs for babies include propylene, polyester and nylon
Propylene is a synthetic fiber that is stain resistant and easy to clean. It is a good choice for households with pets or young children. However, it is not as soft as natural fibers like wool, and some people may find it less comfortable to walk on as they tend to be low pile. Additionally, propylene rugs are not as absorbent as wool rugs, so they may not be the best choice for rooms that tend to be damp or humid.
One of the cheaper options, polyester rugs are a great option for the budget. One major advantage of polyester rugs is that they are incredibly stain-resistant and washable, making them ideal for young children. Polyester rugs are also durable and are softer to feel than propylene rugs, making them a great cushioned surface for babies to crawl over. A downside is that not all polyester rugs are washing machine friendly, and those with low piles can easily mat down in areas with high foot traffic.
Nylon or polyamide rugs are quite popular for use in many homes. Nylon rugs tend to have more shape retention abilities and are highly durable, ideal for high traffic areas. Unlike polyester rugs, nylon rugs are heat and UV resistant, making them a great option for warmer humid climates. At the same time, nylon rugs are less stain-resistant and more expensive than propylene or polyester rugs.
What kind of rugs are non-toxic?
There are a few different types of rugs and play mats that are considered to be non-toxic. These are usually made from natural fibers like wool or cotton. You can also find rugs made from synthetic materials that are low in VOCs (volatile organic compounds), such as propylene. polyester and nylon.
Is a polypropylene rug safe for babies?
Rugs made out of synthetic materials such as propylene, polyester, nylon and acrylic are considered to be safe for babies. Polypropylene rugs are also easy to clean and machine washable, which is always a bonus when you have a baby in the house! However, wool and cotton rugs may be a better choice if you are concerned about VOCs.
Here are some other considerations and common concerns.
Should you put a rug under a crib?
Yes, putting a rug under a crib is a great way to add some extra padding and comfort for your child. It can also help to dampen movement sounds and protect your floor from scratches. In addition if your baby is crawling, ensure that the rug is secured and doesn’t move around to avoid slip or trip hazards.
How do you lay a rug in a nursery?
If you are using a rug in your nursery, you want to make sure that it is properly secured. You can do this by taping it down or by using rug pads. You also want to make sure that the rug is the right size for the room. You don’t want it to be too small or too large.
Should you put carpet in the nursery?
Similar to rugs, carpets can offer a safe and comfortable place for your baby to play. It also provides tactile stimulation for our young ones. If you choose to put carpet in the nursery, make sure that the material is soft, high pile or shaggy, made from washable materials. Remember to vacuum regularly. One bonus tip: Stay away from pure white (trust us, you’ll thank us later).
How big should your rug be in a nursery?
A helpful guideline is that the rug should be big enough so that the main pieces of furniture in the room fit on it. For example, at least the front legs of items like the crib and nursing chair should sit on top of the rug. Otherwise, the rug should provide ample space for your baby to crawl or play on.
Can babies crawl on rugs?
Yes, babies can crawl on rugs. Just make sure that the rug is made from safe materials and washable. You also want to make sure that the rug is not too thick. Otherwise, it could be a trip hazard for your child.
So, what type of rug should you buy for your baby’s room? A safe and washable one that preferably is also cute. We hope our buying guide and recommendations have helped make your decision a little easier. If not, don’t worry—we still have you covered. Our team will help you find the perfect rug for your home, whether it be for another room in your house or as a gift. Happy shopping!